Judo is practiced by more than 100 million people in more than 200 countries worldwide. There are many reasons why judo is such a popular sport and activity.
- Judo is an activity that is enjoyed by males and females of all ages
- Judo develops athletic qualities and skills from basic physical literacy to complex movement patterns and tactics
- Judo offers avenues of philosophical exploration for it is rooted in Japanese culture
- Judo is an excellent form of self defense; it also develops conflict management skills
- Judo is an Olympic sport
- Judo programs offer a safe and challenging environment in which each judoka can achieve his or her potential